Away View

Sunday 11 October 2009

Hick Town!

Car Parking: S.P. Rating: (2) On street is the only parking I've ever found at Solitude. I now come in from Westland Road and park in an adjoining street. The first time I did this a resident asked me to not park in front of his house as he was taking his 'handicapped' mother out and for some reason best known to himself it was easier done from the street, rather than his 'ample' driveway. I agreed under protest, but did it as I didn't want a scrape or other disfigurement on my car. So parking on the street at Solitude is in my opinion, less than ideal.

Access: S.P. Rating: (2) Solitude is not the best place to get into or out of as it is approached down a narrow residential street and leaves one feeling rather vulnerable if the natives should get restless. The turnstiles are okay and operators are civil and entrance is usually fairly easy.

Spectating Facilities: S.P. Rating: (4) One of the the Sky Blue Sports teams 'pet hates' is when we fans are stuck behind the goalposts at one end of the ground. Solitude is such a ground, as is Portadown (or was the last time I was there) and the home of the 'scum' to name but three. If like the old days we were allowed to change ends, at least that would be something, but alas we must watch our teams attacking efforts from a long distance for at least 45 mins. As such the Solitude stand rates a poor, as well it's pretty low and if you're behind the nets it's like being behind the wire.

Toilets: S.P. Rating: (2) Although a vast improvement on their old portaloo the gents toilet at solitude leave a lot to be desired. I could find nowhere to wash my hands and in the cubicle has no peg to hang your coat. Modernisation and basic hygiene obviously hasn't reached North Belfast yet.

Playing Surface: S.P. Rating: (4) The pitch has improved drastically at Solitude but it somehow appears to be out of kilter as if its narrower on one side, or is that an optical illusion. One thing they are to be commended upon is the floodlights, they are excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home